St Luke’s congregational and clergy members participate in various Groups which cover different interests.
Our current Groups and a brief description of their activities are:
- The Book group meets to discuss a set book, at 1pm for an hour or so, on the first Friday of alternate months (i.e. January, March, May, July, September and November.) in the Parish Room at St Luke’s. A review of the book discussed is usually published subsequently in Crossway and, if thought worthy, a copy placed in St Luke’s Library. There are no membership criteria, and anyone is welcome to turn up, whether to discuss a book of particular interest or just to test the water. The book for the next meeting is chosen by the attendees of the previous meeting, advertised in the weekly Pew Sheet and in Crossway. Details of the next meeting and the book being discussed is always available from the Parish Office.
- Click here to see the St Luke’s Fellowship group’s current programme. Participation in Fellowship has been for many years and will continue to be an important part of the life of St Luke’s – the mix of visits and speakers, special afternoons and the opportunity for tea and cake is a key part of fostering the sense of community that we enjoy. The activities are open to everyone in the church and generally happen once a month.
- A Time of Prayer. At St Luke’s, the Intercessions group meets once a month to pray for the Church and for the world and our local community. We also remember those who are sick and ill, the lonely and the bereaved. These times of Prayer are normally held on the last Friday of each month at 2.00pm, for half-an-hour or slightly longer. The dates of the next two meetings are given in the parish magazine, “Crossway” (see link to Crossway under Resources in website’s main menu). The meetings are held in the Upper Room (Choir vestry), which be accessed by the back door of the church (off Emily Jackson Close). All are welcome to join in this time of Prayer.
- The Julian group is an ecumenical contemplative prayer group that follows the teachings of Julian of Norwich: Just be yourself….Unite in prayer with other Christians…Learn to let go and LET GOD…Invite others to join…Adore the Living Creator…Now. It meets at 2.00pm each Tuesday in the Parish Room at St Luke’s.
- The Social and Study group meets in the evening on the first Monday of the month at the house of one of the members (usually for three consecutive meetings). The “next” book is agreed by the attendees at the meeting in which the current book is “finished”. There are no membership criteria, and anyone is welcome to turn up, whether for a book of particular interest or just to try it out. Most of the evening is spent discussing an agreed book and concludes with Night Prayer or Compline.
- Lifelong Learning: Early in his mInistry at St Luke’s, The Revd Mark Griffin initiated a series of talks and discussions entitled Lifelong Learning, many of which he conducted himself. In 2012, he invited Tim Pearce to give series of poetry talks, which have taken place every year between October and March since then and continue today. The talks generally take place in the Lady Chapel. All are welcome.
These groups’ upcoming meetings and events are normally set out in Crossway. If you would like to check times, dates, venues, book titles or suggest a new interest group, please contact our Parish Administrator – Phone: 01732 743045 or E-mail: Parish Administrator
And if you would like to find out more about a particular Group or to participate, please contact the Group’s organiser in accordance with this table: