St Luke’s congregational and clergy members participate in various Groups which cover different interests.
Our current Groups and a brief description of their activities are:
- The Book group meets to discuss a set book, at 1pm for an hour or so, on the first Friday of alternate months (i.e. January, March, May, July, September and November.) in the Parish Room at St Luke’s. A review of the book discussed is usually published subsequently in Crossway and, if thought worthy, a copy placed in St Luke’s Library. There are no membership criteria, and anyone is welcome to turn up, whether to discuss a book of particular interest or just to test the water. The book for the next meeting is chosen by the attendees of the previous meeting, advertised in the weekly Pew Sheet and in Crossway. Details of the next meeting and the book being discussed is always available from the Parish Office.
- Click here to see the St Luke’s Fellowship group’s current programme. Participation in Fellowship has been for many years and will continue to be an important part of the life of St Luke’s – the mix of visits and speakers, special afternoons and the opportunity for tea and cake is a key part of fostering the sense of community that we enjoy. The activities are open to everyone in the church and generally happen once a month.
- The Intercessions group is for anyone who wants to come together, on behalf of the Parish, to pray aloud (or silently) for the parish, the wider church, the local community and the world. We meet between 1.45pm and 2.30pm, usually on the third Monday of each month in the Upper Room at St Luke’s. You enter through the back door which is on the side of the church by Emily Jackson Close. There is a notice in Crossway each month giving the next two meeting dates.
- The Julian group is an ecumenical contemplative prayer group that follows the teachings of Julian of Norwich: Just be yourself….Unite in prayer with other Christians…Learn to let go and LET GOD…Invite others to join…Adore the Living Creator…Now. It meets at 2.00pm each Tuesday in St Luke’s.
- The Social and Study group meets in the evening on the first Monday of the month at the house of one of the members (usually for three consecutive meetings). The “next” book is agreed by the attendees at the meeting in which the current book is “finished”. There are no membership criteria, and anyone is welcome to turn up, whether for a book of particular interest or just to try it out. Most of the evening is spent discussing an agreed book and concludes with Night Prayer or Compline.
These groups’ upcoming meetings and events are normally set out in Crossway. If you would like to check times, dates, venues, book titles or suggest a new interest group, please contact our Parish Administrator – Phone: 01732 743045 or E-mail: Parish Administrator
And if you would like to find out more about a particular Group or to participate, please contact the Group’s organiser in accordance with this table: