St Luke’s, Sevenoaks was dedicated to the Glory of God by the Bishop of Dover; the foundation stone was laid in 1903 and the first part of the building was consecrated by him in the following year. Until 1905, Sevenoaks was in the Diocese of Canterbury and since that year has been part of the Diocese of Rochester.
At its consecration the Church was dedicated to the greater Glory of God under the patronage of St Luke the Physician. St Luke the Physician as opposed to the Evangelist because of the nearby hospital now known as Emily Jackson House, which had been built 3 years before. Part of the mission of the church on this site was to accommodate the children from the hospital to attend worship; hence a chapel on the south side of the building where the children were brought in their beds was always known as the Children’s Chapel.
The good relationship between Emily Jackson House and St Luke’s still exists and many of the residents are brought up to the church each Sunday as well as for the lunch time recital each Wednesday. The Curate presides at a service of Holy Communion every fortnight in Emily Jackson House.
Ever since opening, St Luke’s has been a great place of prayer. Countless people have found the Peace of God within its walls, and this atmosphere of prayer can almost be felt as you walk about the Church. St Luke’s is one of the few parish churches open throughout the day. It is an oasis of peace in a busy community whilst at the same time, it is a centre of activity for worship, teaching, fellowship and outreach.